Well, it’s that time of year again! Time for the Internet to be bombarded with posts about predictions of what is to come. It happens every year. Some predictions come true while others still remain to be seen (Second life? We are still waiting to see that take off…) At Alter Imaging, we just couldn’t resist the temptation to hop into our Delorian and go check it out for ourselves.
After doing some intensive research, we have come to the conclusion that:
1. Foursquare will become increasingly popular and also an unprecedented shift in workplace power will be seen as more and more employees become the mayors of their companies, usurping bosses everywhere.
2. Mobile Marketing (specifically location-based apps and augmented reality apps) will see a huge increase in adoption. The 4th screen is here and marketers are chomping at the bit at the thought of living directly in customers pocketbooks.
3. The Social Media Mantra “Ignore them at your peril” will become clearer to companies as more and more “YourCompanySucks.com” and @YourCompanySucks twitter accounts pop up. As customers become increasingly social-savvy themselves, it will be wise to at least stay WITH the curve.
4. The notion of having a solid social media strategy rather than simply implementing tactics/tools will become increasingly apparent as companies scratch their heads and wonder why their only Twitter followers are their own employees and mothers.
5. Affiliate marketers everywhere will update their site templates. Unfortunately, they will all choose the same one. Again.
What others are saying about the future of Social Media
Five Social Media Predictions for 2010 by Joel Postman
Six Social Media Trends for 2010 from David Armano
Looking ahead to 2010 with Shiv Singh
100 Social Media & Content Marketing Predictions for 2010